There is almost nothing better than good old tartar sauce with pretty much anything crispy and fried. Tempeh ‘fish ‘n chips’, crispy seitan strips, even french fries are made better with a little dip in that classic sauce. Here is a simple recipe so you can make your own. I call for a variety of fresh herbs – it is best with all three – but use what you have, just aim for the full amount, even if it is just one herb. It will change the flavour a bit, but it will still be fantastic. This will keep for a good 5-7 days covered in the refrigerator, but the herb flavours will be less fresh over time.
Join our email list and get a free copy of our newest eCookbook, “Quick and Easy Weekday Meals”
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh herbs, preferably a mix of parsley, tarragon and chives
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, I like using malt vinegar, but cider vinegar, white wine vinegar or lemon juice would all be great
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Combine all the ingredients. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.