A classic of French cuisine, fresh tropical fruits, candied cherries, meringue pieces, lightly napped in crème fraiche dressing…Nope! This is as American as apple pie and diabetes! Ambrosia salad, born in the late 18th century and keeping people on a sugar rush ever since. Now that mini Dandy’s marshmallows are available, vegans can enjoy this once forbidden treat. The only departure we make from the original is in forgoing the Maraschino cherries, which are mostly coloured with carmine (insect-based food colouring). We’re better for it, because marinated Bing cherries in syrup are both cheaper and better tasting. Get your can openers ready, folks we’re going to party like it’s 1959!
- 1 can pineapple tidbits, juice drained and saved for another purpose
- 1 can mandarin orange segments
- ½ can Bing cherries in syrup
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup Dandy’s Mini Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Tofutti Sour Cream
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk (full fat, of course)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ideally from a bottle, made from concentrate, as far from a real fruit as possible.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the Sour Cream, Coconut milk and lemon juice
- Drain all of the fruits well, then combine in a bowl
- Stir in the coconut and marshmallows
- Fold in the dressing